Traveling Thailand With My Best Friend: A Series Of Strange Events
This blog post is ages late but I believe late is better than never. About a month ago while living it up in Thailand I mentioned that I would make a list of all the weird, crazy, scary, dangerous and bizarre things that happened to my best friend, Carley, and I during our adventure. Everything listed below actually happened to us. This list is not meant to discourage anyone from traveling in Thailand, but rather I have put it together so that you may laugh and learn from our mishaps.
This post contains affiliate links. Should you decide to purchase something from one of my affiliates I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Check out my Affiliates Page for more info.Thailand with My Best Friend: A Series of Strange Events Click To Tweet
For some reason one of us always ended up getting hurt. Our second day in Bangkok while riding motorcycle taxis, my best friend Carley got hit by a car. She managed to get by with just a sprained ankle but wow. Talk about a warm welcome to The Land of Smiles. If you choose to ride moto taxis just make sure they give you a helmet. Traffic is insane.
On Koh Phi Phi I decided to do the limbo with some fire dancers. And yes you guessed it – the limbo was on fire. A fire dancer carried me under the limbo low to the ground and I got a third degree burn.
Times We Were Careless in Thailand
- Very stupidly there was a jet lagged moment for me where I actually left my backpack in a jewelry shop. Luckily I remembered in time to run back and grab it before anyone else did and I was wearing a money belt that had most of my valuables inside (passport, money, etc.).
- Another mess up was when we inched our towels a little too close to the sea and the ocean waves swallowed up my cell phone.
- We also got swindled many times while taking taxis and paying for hotels.
- Or the time we stayed at a hostel with doors that didn’t lock. Nothing happened and we saved lots of money but it was a little unsettling.
- And then the time that I accidentally put my pocket knife (in case of emergencies) into my checked baggage on a flight and got in trouble.
- There were two or three times where Carley and I walked right into brothels thinking they were bars. Luckily some guys from our hostel were with us.
- There were a few times where we didn’t plan very well and almost missed flights.
Food and Sickness in Thailand
- At one point I had to stay in the hospital overnight due to severe food poisoning.
- One time we ate at a restaurant with a rat problem unknowingly until a huge rat scurried across the floor I’m mid-meal.
- One cool thing we got to do was to taste crickets and silk worms. The crickets were actually delicious but I wouldn’t recommend eating a silk worm to my worst enemy.
At Least We Mastered the Squatty Potty
- It took practice and a bit of peeing on ourselves a few times (yes you read that right) but yes, we both mastered the squatty potty.
Hope your time in Thailand is just as fun and hopefully a little more safe than ours was. Best of luck!
Other posts you might like:
- Loy Krathong: Northern Thailand’s Lantern Festival
- Penguins, Patagonia and Proposals!
- Study Abroad Stress